Tuesday, February 15, 2011

scurrrrry journey to NYC

First off, we have lost complete track of time, day, date, even the month! If I were to date this it would read: "there are no days here."

Further I want to share this quote by FDR- "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." I fear the fact that I am scared of lightening storms. I used to love lightening and thunder, I thought they were beautiful and mysterious. Also only 70 people die a year from being struck, so no big deal-right? WRONG!

When I was in elementary school my dad and I were part of Indian Princesses (I guess it could be compared to the girl version of boy scouts.) I was "running flame" and he was "thunder bird," and we did everything from camping out on Catalina Island to skiing at Big Bear. My favorite was staying in the huge cabin in big bear- but one year things went haywire. A HUGE thunder storm rolled over and I have never heard thunder roar so loud in my life. We were all huddled in the cabin when next thing we heard was a bang, a snap, another bang, then a car alarm. YUP, the lightening struck a tree right outside the cabin, which fell onto a car-- and who's car-OURS! It took 15 men to lift the tree off of our silver volvo (aka "quicksilver") which was completely totaled. I recall being to small to sit in the front seat of the car at the time, but the tree had smashed the entire back in, so I had no where to sit but the front (of course I was a little excited about that.) And yes--we drove the smashed in car all the way home, vovlvo's back in the day were tanks, you couldn't do anything to make the damn things break even if you tried! (My first car was the exact same model but in blue- I hated it, but it was "the safest thing on the road")

Yesterday we encountered the second worst lightening storm of my life. Lightening shot from the sky less than a mile away from us, rain pored down like Niagara Falls, and the sky roared as if we were in a surround sound movie theatre. I was terrified. All i could do so pop one reeses pieces after another into my mouth, which I have realized is the WORST nervous habit ever. At first Courtney was cracking up, filming me almost crapping my pants, which of course only increased my fear. "Put the stupid camera down, you are going to get electrocuted!" As we sat in the parking lot of Target I darted my eyes around to make sure there was no trees, telephone poles, or anything that could fall on our car. I told Courtney my story about Big Bear, and she lost her composure and nervously began eating her gold fish. So there we were sitting in a parking lot, nearly crying, and shoving junk into our mouths to distract us- it was quite the experience. We waited for a lull and then darted out of there, Courtney drove while I painted my nails to distract myself (probably not the best idea, but we made it!)

But as for now I am getting summoned to get ready for a night out into NYC! So I have to run, but will ttys (talk to you soon)

Fun Fact: Maine is the only state with one syllable

No comments: