Tuesday, February 15, 2011

CANADA

"Life is a series of intersecting lives and incidents, out of anyone's control."

So who knew it was illegal to have mace in Canada, because we sure didn't! My mace disguised as a perfume bottle was quickly taken and I was devastated! How was I going to defend myself? The Canadian response "buy a whistle." And to top it off the border patrol threatened to search the car, and my first thought "oh no-not the wine!" Our entrance into Canada was a little rocky but has been great ever since!

Our first night we spent in Toronto where we toured the city and went to the top of the CN tower. Sad story- I was overly excited to get a shwerma because they bring back so many amazing memories from Barcelona, but when I went to buy it the guy would not accept my debit card because it read 'visa.' I had no cash, no American money and no Canadian, so I handed the sandwich back. :( I walked out and rushed over to Subway. It is amazing how places like Subway and McDonald's have a sense of comfort and security when you are out of the US. Otherwise, I highly DISLIKE both places, but in this case a 6-inch turkey sandwich has never tasted so good.

CN Tower

Now we are in Niagra Falls where after one thing led to another, we ended up in a hostel called ACBB (what that means- I have NO idea). I am sweating uncontrollably in this 90 degree humid weather with no air conditioning, and sitting next to two Brazilians turned American turned Canadian. I keep telling myself that this was meant to be. We were in route of Montreal, when we decided we were too tired to tour all day then drive 8 hours, so we slowly rolled around until we found a wi fi hot spot (so we could look up a hostel to stay in). We went onto hostelworld.com and typed the address into the Garmin (which I want to kill by the way- it doesn't stop talking!) and it said "approaching destination in 400 feet." Huh, this is strange we thought. So now here we are, staying here for a couple days free in return we help market this hostel which, besides the heat is a very nice/friendly place.

Niagara Falls

Our new game to kill time in the car= the saltine challenge. We can both successfully eat 4 crackers in 60 seconds, what can you do?

The truth behind the CN tower-Burg- Dubai it has been outdone by the Burg in Dubai standing as the tallest building in the world.

CHing chinG


No comments: